The Fear of Failing!
February 11, 2017
I wrote this article 2 years ago! It became like an omen a prophecy of what happened to me later in a space of a year – falling first into a coma state in Royal Hospital whilst I was in ICU this bank and an Omani Court had placed a case against me for my Consultancy that had gone bankrupt bust 15 years ago in 2001!
Nothing has changed much in Oman – and still happening to date!
If The Leadership are real serious – they need to read this article as a start!
February 6, 2015
For Next Sunday February 8th 2015
Between Us Only!
The Fear of Failing!
- Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently! – Henry Ford
- Success isn’t about how much money you make, it’s about the difference you make in people’s lives – Michelle Obama
- Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm – Winston Churchill
I was talking to my children and The Younger Generation born post 1970s after HM Ascension and trying to convince them that the time was ripe and opportune for them to go into business – as there were great support now for being Self Employed and for SMEs! I reminded them of HE Dr. Sunaidy’s great offerings like being paid within 28 days; the great financial support from RAFD and others; reserved 10% slot for Public Contracts; relaxation of Omanisation for 2 years amongst many others! But yet people are still reluctant to go ‘the route of SMEs’ – and I tried to find out more from them for the reasons why?
One of the major fears and concerns that they have in their young minds is ‘in making it to be successful in their business endeavours’ – and the requirements for them to be fully involved and occupied in their businesses. That is in losing their jobs and confirmed incomes – and in trying something different – and certainly more scary and fearsome! The start and the middle going parts are the more easier ones – but the ending and final parts scare them to pieces! What if I fail? What will happen to me? What will happen to people owing me money? Especially The Banks and The Lenders?
They have seen what can happen to their elders ‘that have failed in businesses’ – even if it was unplanned and as a result of conditions inadvertently beyond their conditions – like bidding for a contract and getting it – but your estimates for the bid turns out by hidden or unexpected turn of events costs to be far much more than you had tendered for or realised in expectations – which has happened many times in reality and as a matter of fact.
There is also this element that ‘people dread to touch getting into SMEs businesses ‘even by a long pole’ is the stereotyping of local companies – even more worse for SMEs! Unfortunately and sadly too by our own Stakeholders and Decision Makers in undercutting and failing to ‘value and recognise’ our own capabilities, potentials, skills and talents!
Also it has been known and to also be practicised even too – that we are very hard and rigid on our own – but can turn ‘the other cheek’ and be more flexible and open to Outsiders – even more to The International ones! Sadly, the same Job Scope and Tasks they can expect (and do receive many times!) to get even 3 or 4 times the amounts that the local companies or SMEs can ever hope to receive! We fail dismally to value and esteem our own more – and this ‘disease’ is what is killing people to venture out into business – the ‘disease of envy, jealousy and polarisation’ even!
But that is not the only scary part! The more scary part ‘is if you finally fail’! All hell is let loose – and even your ‘own personal freedom and movement’ is at risk – in addition to facing so many legal and other issues too! You cannot try to convince people – despite all the talk and rhetoric – because they have seen it still happen to their parents, family and elders! That at the time when ‘you most need help and from The Banks’ – they abandon you one by one!
I have always made this joke about someone with a big tray of meat (chicken, fish) Biriyani with him – yet he wants a small bite and share of you with a small plate of sandwich (samosas) – and he is not ‘happy with you if you deny him the indulgence’ – people who have already made it and rich enough just do not let things go ‘with wandering eyes’ of what more they could have – and if you are disagreeable or not forthcoming to share – they can make things pretty awkward, hard and difficult for you – to start the spiral of going out of control and eventually in making wrong decisions to start losing and in failing! You never know what is out there – and what can happen!
My advice and counsel to The Younger Generations is still to try to go into SMEs and give it your best shot – and do not be scared by failing – because it is a way of learning to do things better in another way. Wishing you all the very best!
Famous Failures – Please Read This!
- Jim Carey used to be homeless!
- Thomas Edison failed 1000 times before creating the lightbulb!
- Stephen King grew so frustrated over his attempt to write the novel “Carrie” that he threw away the entire early draft.
- Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, had his first book rejected by 27 different publishers.
- U2 band got several Rejection letters as ‘your music not suitable to us at present’ and wishing you all the best!
- So were The Beatles – as ‘their music was too loud – and will never catch on!’
- Thomas Edison’s teachers told him he was “too stupid to learn anything.”
- Oprah Winfrey was fired from her first television job as an anchor in Baltimore, where she said she faced sexism and harassment
- Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because he “lacked imagination and had no good ideas.”
- Colonel Harland David Sanders was fired from dozens of jobs before founding a successful restaurant.
- J.K. Rowling was a single mom living off welfare when she began writing the first “Harry Potter” novel
- Vincent Van Gogh sold only one painting, “The Red Vineyard,” in his life, and the sale was just months before his death.
- Steve Jobs – The Inventor of Apple!
- The Home PC was said ‘never to succeed’ – and so many others!
By Majid Al Suleimany
Be The Safe Driver!
About The Author.
The Writer was a weekly Column Writer in The Oman Daily Observer Features under ‘Between Us Only’. He had started writing in the column now for the past 14 years, and his column had appeared every Sunday and Wednesday of the week. He has worked for over 25 years as a Human Resources Professional and Expert in mainly Oil Companies in Oman and GCC.
In addition, he has also worked for over 12 years as a Management and Human Resources Consultant, Expert and Advisor. He has also been widely exposed to young Omani Graduates Intake Programme, their mentoring, coaching, guiding and counselling and for National Staff in general.
The Author has published 25 books to date and is but a few Omani (Arab) Authors who write fluently and eloquently in English as he was educated and trained under British UK systems!
Apologies published in Phone Version due to Internet Connection Problems so no images and others PC related possibilities. The article was sent to both Observer and Muscat Daily but was not published. You please Be The Judge!
Images For Demonstration Purposes Only!